Nearly three months into school, you begin to notice some things change – mostly in the lockerroom. With people leaving their workout clothes in their lockers, the whole room begins to develop its own signature scent. That’s why I’ve created a super easy-to-make air and clothes freshener with only four ingredients!
Typical air fresheners (like Febreeze), contain harmful ingredients like BHT, which is a neurotoxin, endocrine disruptor, and skin eye and lung irritator. That’s only one of the many toxic ingredients air fresheners (which now sounds like an oxymoron) use. To learn more, click here.
Instead, for this DIY air freshener, all you need is an amber bottle, witch hazel, distilled water, and 100% pure essential oils. It’s so clean, you can even spray it on your skin; in fact, witch hazel is an astrigent which can stop future blemishes – perfect for gym. Nonetheless, the real stars of this freshener are the essential oils. You can play with with combinations you want, but I recommend a combination of the ones below.
- Peppermint essential oil – relieves head aches, has antimicrobial properties, improves mental focus, clears respiratory tract, relieves sore muscles
- Lavender essential oil – relieves stress (perfect before heading out to class), has antibacterial properties, clears respiratory tract, relieves sore muscles
- Lemongrass essential oil – has antibacterial properties, relieves sore muscles
- Tea tree essential oil – has antibacterial properties, fights fungal infections, natural deodorant
Clearly these essential oils are far more qualified than any funky ingredient in typical store-bough air and clothes freshener. Make your own bottle below!
- 2 tbsp witch hazel
- distilled water
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- Mix up the witch hazel and essential oils (of your choice), and place it in your 2 oz amber bottle.
- Fill it up to the top of the bottle with distilled water.
- Spritz it!